Saturday, December 18, 2010

How to master anger?

I was so angry... and I could see my own face glowing in tomato red , as if all the body's blood flow had been redirected to my face to flame up its anger further!

As shown in old Tamil black and white movies , my own mirror image started impersonating my mind (anyway whats the exact English word for manasatchi?) and started asking questions.

Me In the Mirror (MIM) : Hey! why are you so angry?

Me:(almost yelling!): If I know that, why should I be angry this much ?

MIM : Relax! Relax! Tone down your anger... I think, you know anger is the most harmful emotion to our body... just calm down!

Me : "Just calm down "... the most idiotic phrase, in mounting rage nobody would 'just' calm down... instead of telling "just" , just tell me what to do with this anger?

MIM (getting anxious on seeing my mounting rage): Bottled emotions are toxic... let your anger out!

Me: (making a fist of my right hand) I am going to let out my anger by smashing your face!

MIM : plz... no ... I am you! ... remember that!

Me : If you are me just answer me... how to master my anger?... in ten seconds you have to say me!
Or I am going to smash your face along with this mirror!

MIM : (starts fidgeting) Don't do that... let me think...

Me : 10,9,8,7...

MIM ; just give me some time space...

Me : 6,5,4,3,...

MIM : oh god save me from myself!

Me : 2, 1 , 0 ( I raised my fist)

MIM: Remember Seneca! Remember Seneca! ( screaming on top of the throat)

Me: Seneca! ( I stopped)

MIM : Yes.. his three step methodology

1. How to avoid becoming angry in the first place!

2. How to cease being angry!

3. How to deal with anger in others!

Me: Elaborate!

MIM: Seneca says,  "To avoid becoming angry in the first place, many faults of anger should be repeatedly remembered".

Me: Then!

MIM: "One should avoid being too busy or deal with anger-provoking people. Unnecessary hunger or thirst should be avoided and soothing music be listened to".

Me: To cease being angry?

MIM: "one to check speech and impulses and be aware of particular sources of personal irritation".

Me: In dealing with other people's anger?

MIM: One should not be too inquisitive: It is not always soothing to hear and see everything. When someone appears to slight you, you should be at first reluctant to believe this, and should wait to hear the full story. You should also put yourself in the place of the other person, trying to understand his motives and any extenuating factors, such as age or illness.

Me: What else he says about mastering anger?

MIM:  To put it simple he says just remember three things...

No 1: Daily self-inquisition about one's bad habit.
No 2: Check yourself when you are angry... your thought and behavior may not be rational.
No 3:  To deal with anger in others, Seneca suggests that the best reaction is to simply keep calm. A certain kind of deception, Seneca says, is necessary in dealing with angry people.

Me : mmmm... sounds good!

MIM( with a huge sigh): Whenever you got angry, just remember to remember the phrase "Remember Seneca" ... surely the phrase saved me from getting smashed by myself... it could save you from yourself too ( it winked at me with a meaningful smile... and vanished along with my anger)

Remember Seneca! 

No comments:

Post a Comment